Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And Now Part 2 of the Dramatic Life of Megan...

And I really thought things couldn't get any worse.

I was wrong. Today got worse, much worse. So much that I am now a broken being and still in shock from the day's events. When I say broken, I mean that my entire ego, my confidence in editing, my excitement to be in this major was absolutely shattered. In about... 10 minutes.

It all started when I finally got a hold of the department chair. I had spent all day long trying to catch him between meetings and finally, around 1:30, I was able to catch his attention for. Earlier today, I was shaking up a storm when I was supposed to go and see him (but he was in a meeting), so by the time that I did speak with him, I was more determined to just get the whole thing over with.

The conversation started out well enough. I told him about myself, that I had my AA in English and that I was a transfer student. He even joked with me about having started out as an English major himself. Then it began. I explained why I was there and my purpose for speaking with him, even though my adviser and the professor had already spoken with him. He told me that since the copy editing class did have a prerequisite, I would have to wait to take it. I would have easily agreed with him and left at that point, but he felt that he had to continue. He felt compelled to inform me that, just because I had my AA in English, it might mean that I was a good proofer but it definitely didn't mean that I was a good copy editor. He said that if he had the option, he would not have hired me at the newspaper last semester and insinuated that he probably wouldn't have hired me this semester either. He also told me that he was giving his copy editing students a quiz the next day and he was positive that I would fail it.

I left his office, devistated.

The current chief copy did her best to cheer me up, but I still don't really feel better. I feel broken. She assured me that there was a reason why she has me as the lead section copy editor. But I still feel broken.

So, about an hour later, I finally got a hold of my adviser. The adviser who had told me that he would take care of it. The adviser that never contacted me. As soon as I saw him, I told him what the department chair had said. I expected him, like always, to be sympathetic and on my side. However, instead, he pulled me aside and began to speak to me very quietly. He told me that the entire thing wouldn't have blown out of hand if I hadn't been late to the copy editing class in the first place. He BLAMED me for the whole thing. He told me that once I had let the instructor know, that once the instructor emailed the department head, everything had blown up. He basically blamed me.

After discussing it with many friends, I've come to the conclusion that I have landed in the middle of a tiff between two full grown men. I realize that this argument cannot be about me. I haven't done anything wrong. All that I did was tell the truth. I told the truth that I was in a class that I technically wasn't supposed to be in. It may have blown up on me, but I fought and lost. I had a man break me into a million pieces simply because he was frustrated that my adviser had told me to sign up for the class. Taking it out on me was wrong and I'm still broken and frustrated by it. However, I know that he probably didn't mean it.

Still... it'll take me a while to pick up the pieces.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon my French, but it sounds like you didn't land between two grown men. It sounds like you are stuck in to middle of an idiot and a goddamn fartass.

    That's right: a crotchety, jaded, mean, old fartass. You should feel better for a couple of reasons:

    1. You can write well. Not that my opinion means much, but I find your style very personable and engaging. More than likely, Fartass has a little twig up his bottom and readjusting the little details in his sordid life makes it hurt.

    2. These men are probably going to die long before you do. Sure, it's terrible, but whenever I'm having issues with the proverbial Fartass, it counters my anger for a few minutes when I remember that I will be enjoying pizza, beer, and books long longer than they will.

    I found your blog through the welcome thread of 20sb. Welcome! Don't let the "haters" get you down.

    Juniper

    ReplyDelete