Monday, January 11, 2010

Publishing

So, I met with a very good friend today and we fell into the conversation of publishing.

I'm very close to being done with the second draft of my book. In fact, if I can just crank out these last ten chapters, I'll be able to start editing. And from there... I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. There's many options. I could try and find and agent and publish that way. I could try and send my manuscript to publishers to see if I could get it published that way. OR I could self publish.

Self publishing is beginning to have an appeal to me. Originally, years ago, I would have never consider the option. Now, it doesn't seem like the other two options are a good idea at the moment. If I self publish, I'll be able to promote the book myself, have family and friends buy it and read it, and hopefully have it start building a bit of a fan base that way. It might be a little pricey in the beginning but, hopefully, it'll start getting a little more rewarding as time goes on.

So, I'm beginning to get revved up for the new year. I'm going to try to do a chapter at least every day (if not every two days) so I can get those ten chapters done in a couple of weeks. Then I'm going to crack down on the editing.  Hopefully, if everything goes well, I will have my stuff up in at least 6 months for everyone to be able to buy a hardcopy of. I want to start getting this done. I want everyone to see what I'm writing.

And I'm guessing (right now) that the only way to do that at the moment is to self-publish.

1 comment:

  1. Self-publishing is not pricey at all. It's the way to go if you want to retain control and not fight with publishers.

    I found that as soon as I understood self-publishing, I got my book done a lot faster. Before I discovered how easy self-publishing was, I never really finished in my writing projects. Why bother? Power in the new that it was close to impossible to get a book published through a traditional publisher. I read stories about famous authors who were rejected hundreds of times before finally finding a publisher that would take their material. I really had no interest in being rejected 100 times.

    Then I discovered CreateSpace, a self-publishing service owned by Amazon.com. Within a few months of discovering the service, I published my own book and my father's book. (You can see one of my books at http://thoughtleaderbook.socialbootstrap.com).

    I'm a small business marketer, so most of my self-publishing experience has to do with nonfiction books by small-business owners, consultants, and sole practitioners, who are writing books to help position themselves as experts in their field. So, while I'm sure there are differences for fiction in, poetry, and literature, I am completely and evangelist for self-publishing, particularly CreateSpace (even though they don't pay me or anything-which they really should, I mean come on).

    CreateSpace is incredibly inexpensive, easy, and very. You can publish paperback books, CDs, DVDs, e-books, and MP3 downloads. I think they are going to start offering hardback book service as well, although I haven't seen anything specific. You should definitely check them out.

    Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete