Saturday, September 5, 2009

Changin' My Ways

Today is marks the first day of my "addiction" project for my Drugs in Our Society class.

The project is sort of like the one that I did last semester in my Woman's Health class, where I take some part of my life that I'm not fond of and work on it. This project is specifically something that I am addicted to that I want to change about my life. Some people are going to try to stop smoking; others are going to stop drinking caffeine (which is what I attempted to do last semester and it didn't work out so well). I, however, am going to try to stop arguing.

Stop laughing.

All of you who know me well, I know that you're rib-cages are probably just bursting at the thought that I'm actually going to attempt this feat. I have a bad temper. Yes, I know this. I'm a lot like my father and I love to win arguments. I know this also. However, I have a boyfriend who despises arguing and almost always refuses to argue with me. This will be safeguard, my corner stone.

Although, when I told Jo, he thought this was just as funny as you probably do and told me, "I wont even give you a week." My goal for this week is to prove him wrong.

So yes, this is Day 1 of that. And this project is going for about a month. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

On other news, I have decided to Steampunk my novel.

For all of you who don't know what Steampunk is, it is a mixture of the Renaissance Era and the Industrial Revolution, a time torn between the era of beauty and romance, and the beginnings of new technology, such as clockwork and steam powered machinery.



Airships, steam powered technology, but still with the hint of fantasy and renaissance dress. I've always been fascinated by this type of fashion and lifestyle, and a friend of mine (whom I play D&D with) has suggested more than once that we try a Steampunk D&D group. (Airships! Yay!) I would gladly partake in that!! Anyway, this just means a lot of research but a lot of fun. Especially if I could dress up in Steampunk at some point while I wrote the novel. (Maybe I'll get a group together to dress up and debut my novel.) It also works really well for the storyline that I'm writing because it's just the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, so some things are "in" and some things "out."

Anyway, that's all that I can give to you about the storyline right now. I'm still a fantasy writer but I'm getting more into the sci-fi stuff, so I can't ignore it completely in my novel anymore. (Also, it doesn't help that I'm dating a scientist who helps me with basically anything that I want to know regarding science and technology.)

The Writer's Conference is only a few weeks away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment