Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Valentines Day

Last night, I was talking to a friend of mine about poetry that we used to write in high school. It seems to that a lot of people in high school write poetry and I've never really been able to figure out why that is. (I know why I wrote poetry but a few of my friends, who couldn't even put a simple story together, could end up writing some of the most beautiful poetry I have ever read.) I'm assuming that, due to raging hormones in high school, poetry was written as a release from all that.

This reminds me of the fact that I'm finally going to be done with high school this year, once and for all. I know what you're probably thinking: "you're in your 3rd year of college; you've been done with it for a while!" However, that's not quite true. As a senior in high school, I experienced something that I hadn't experienced in about 3 years: being single. One of my best friends who had graduated the year before had been bugging me to "take on a freshman" or guide a new one through the craziness that is high school. Surprisingly, I actually took on this project and I say that it's surprising because I had a huge resement against freshmen at the time. My boyfriend of 3 years (who was a senior) left me for a freshman. Never-the-less, I sort-of accidentally became friends with this girl and she is finally graduating this year. I talked to her the other day and it hurt my heart so much to hear all of the high school drama that I'm finally over. I could only assure her that it would be over soon and she could start over in life.

Anyway, back to the topic of the first paragraph, I found on my myspace (which I can't believe I still have) a poem that sounds a bit like residue from high school. Since it's fairly decent poetry, I thought I would share it with you all.

The Most Mocking Holiday of the Year

I say I'm content with everything
My friends, my family
They hear me
Content with everything
My school, my work
They see me
Content with everything

And there, looming ahead, you lie
Taunting, twirling, with your red, pink, and white
Dancing and mocking, never leaving my sight
Until I am not content with everything

You laugh and you play, making my each step heavier
As I hold out my hand to you;
Brushing the bare edges, my fingertips rejoice,
And then you move away.
I am left with nothing.

You stand before me, in your pink and your red
Holding what I want, flashing what I desire
Commercialized now
Visual affection, according to the media
And I don't want it…
But I do.
Not the candy, the cards, or the gifts
But you.

You may loom ahead but I
I sit instead
Turning a blind eye as you mock me openly
And I allow myself to hide
Just for one day
I hide from you

In the darkness, then, you return to me
Colors shed; I feel your cool touch on my face
Your smile prickles my skin
And I know you have returned to me once again
Returned to my heart
And I am comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment