Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Twidiots?

I have this kind of love/hate relationship with Twitter.

I've been off and on it for a while. Sure, it's fun to update my status every hour and make my life seem interesting but, honestly, who cares what I’m doing every second of my day? After a while, when you have absolutely nothing to update your account with except for “bored as hell” or “watching the rain,” you realize how dull your life has become.

However, I decided to give it a shot one more time, just to see what the fuss was all about. And, for about two days, I thought Twitter was cool. Then I heard about Military_Mom.

You’ve heard of those people whose life is completely surrounded with Twitter? This is Military_Mom. If you just go and look at her page, almost every minute of every day is taken up by updates and notes to her readers. She was one social mama. So, you can imagine how shocked her readers were when, about an hour after her last Twitter, she mentioned to her readers, “Please pray, my 2-year-old son fell in our pool,” which has since been removed from her page.

It has since become a controversy. Was Military_Mom Twittering when her son fell in her pool? Or was this just an instance where a rambunctious 2-year-old just fell in a pool while his mother had turned his head for a second? Readers have been leaning both ways.

I’m not sure which is it, but the woman made the call to the police about her son falling in her pool around 5:38pm on Monday, according to Florida Today. If you check on Twitter, this was only 15 minutes after her last “tweet.” It completely shakes me up. The facts are unclear but a little brutal.

Military_Mom has responded viciously to four different Tweeters, telling them “you are an ass, I was outside w/him and it took 2 sec for him to slip away, I hope U never feel this pain u ass” and “where us your heart bitch.” However, as someone who wants to agree with Military_Mom, I have to look at the hard facts that this woman has not come back with a reply against the statement that the might have been checking her Twitter or Twittering while her child was wandering around.

Losing someone, especially a child, is hard. I cannot imagine what this woman is going through, whether it is the fault of her Twittering or not. I’m trying to stay on the side of those who are praying for this woman and giving her their condolences. If I were her, I would have deleted my Twitter account by this time instead of taking the controversial Tweets off of her page. My heart goes out to this woman, whatever state she is in. Especially because I believe, unlike others on Twitter, that she would not Tweet her son was at the bottom of the pool while he was there. Maybe she really wanted prayer. I know I would.

Even so, I’m thinking harder about getting off of Twitter. If not just because the readers are so brutal about something they don’t have all the facts for.

Who would want a Web site like this to be the blame for your child’s death? I know I wouldn’t.

References:

Florida Today: http://www.floridatoday.com/comments/article/20091215/BREAKINGNEWS/91215016/Merritt-Island-toddler-drowns-in-swimming-pool

Military_Mom: http://twitter.com/Military_Mom

The undeleted Tweets: http://girlarsonist.blogspot.com/2009/12/mom-tweets-while-son-drowns.html

No comments:

Post a Comment