Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Blood to Blood

Tonight, while talking to one of my dearest friends, I stumbled upon a memory of the past.

When my father first left, almost 3 years ago now, my younger sister took on the idea that no one could do any wrong in her eyes. Her view on my father was that there had to be some good left in him and it was her job to find it. She searched and searched, only to be turned down again and again. I watched her struggle, tried to help her, but I think I reminded her too much of him. Finally, after her senior year of high school, that personality trait cracked a little and she began seeing people, for their good and bad, like she used to. Even still, living with her for those 2 1/2 years were painful. We both fought against one another, not quite sure what it was that bugged us about the other one. We knew how to push one anothers buttons and did so often, so often that it broke my amazing mother's calm until she would have to scream at us to stop fighting.

However, in the past few months, since I have moved from my mother's home up to college, my sister and I have begun to get along. Lately, we've talked on the phone more than twice a week, whether it be about school or my dad or whatever. We get along. We laugh at one another's jokes and tell one another stories of our lives. I can actually say that I'm beginning to believe that I'm becoming friends with my sister. All those years of screaming "I hate you" and "Once you move, you'll never hear from me" in the heat of the battle are gone when we talk on the phone. It's a relief. And I'm happy about it.

So here's to you, sister dear!! And our future friendship. For good and for bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment