Monday, November 30, 2009

Finished

I know it's been a week since I posted last but, as a college student, I've needed the break. I didn't get a break from college (far from it, actually, since I had to copy edit even after the school week was over and study for a Human Sexuality test that I can only pray that I'm going to pass) but I've mostly been working on my word count for NaNoWriMo, chugging away to get to those 50,000 words.

And yesterday, as the boyfriend and I were stuck in traffic on the 5, trying to get back to our new hometown, I got to 50,000 words and did a silly little dance in my seat. Then I promptly fell asleep for about a half an hour.

I am quite proud of myself for making it this far. I've only written 19 chapters and I have 32 chapters in this novel so I still have quite a ways to go. But, I do feel confident that, in the next month, I can finish these chapters. I'm going to keep trying to make my word count every day, the 1,667 words that seemed to loom at me whenever I would start writing. After I'm done with Draft 2, I'm definitely going to have some people edit this book of my and start in on revision, myself. Because the next step?

Editing. Revision. And trying to get it published.

Excerpt from Chapter 19:

He could still see her beautiful pale face, her auburn hair, the powerful sparkle in her lavender eyes – Detao, goddess of life. How many walks had they gone on after the earth had just been formed, the other gods staring jealously as their younger sister chose to converse regularly with him, lord of all dragons? How many years had it taken him to ask her for the one thing that might forever change their destinies? He would never forget nor forgive her for that day. Her long green dress flowing gently behind her as she approached him on the beach had rendered him speechless, as he had never been before in her presence. He had bowed his head deeply and made the request, much harder than he had expected even though it had only been a few simple words… but nothing could have prepared him for the pain that was to follow. Occasionally he could still feel traces of it, the pain of one bodily shape – having been born and meant to fulfill that original shape – shifting into another one, a smaller one, more restricting. But even then he retained the golden hue in his human skin that had glowed on his scales, his teeth still pointed slightly, and his fingers remained claw-like. When, at last, the transformation had become complete, he had dropped to one knee and offered his love and service to the one who had always been there for him, to the one whose touch he craved by the second, as a devoted servant and lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment