Sunday, November 8, 2009

Crossing a Line

I try to keep certain parts of my personal life out of this blog.

However, tonight, the boyfriend gave me an unexpected surprised when I came home from a girls night. One of his new friends, a girl, had called him, asking if she could use my ID to get into the bars because she assumed that we both looked enough alike to where it wouldn't be a problem.

First of all, I'm not 21. I don't turn 21 for another month and I realize that, just because my boyfriend is 22, people automatically assume that I am old enough to drink as well. Luckily, neither of us drink that often so it doesn't really bother us. Second of all, if I was 21, I don't who this girl thinks she is, asking for my ID. She could A) get herself thrown in jail B) get me thrown in jail and C) pretty much ruin both of our lives for such an idiotic act. Get a fake ID if you're really that desperate. Third of all, asking my boyfriend for such a favor could potentially ruin his friendship with her. Mainly because she crossed a line. A major line.




I'm here to tell you all this evening that I just wrote a very nasty email to a girl that my boyfriend is fairly good friends with and also someone who he considers to be a smart, decent person. I'm here to tell you that I wrote a very nasty email to someone who I've been getting to know, someone who I've been thinking better of. I'm here to tell you that I wrote a very nasty email to a girl who I don't know that well and, from this point on, no longer want to get to know.

Now, I realize I'm a college student. And I realize that, in this college world, people want/need alcohol. I'm not entirely sure what the point is exactly of getting so drunk that you wake up with flu-like symptoms in the morning, but that's just me. That's just my personality. It has nothing to do with the fact that I've gone through an entire semester of classes about drugs and alcohol. It had nothing to do with the fact that my previous major was health education. It has to do with the face that I do not understand why people can't just get alcohol from their over-age friends before they turn 21. Going to the bars is just like hanging out with your friends - you drink, you get stupid, you get loud. If you want to have a bar scene, drink with a lot of people. I'm sure you'll get the point of the bar that way. If you want to be in the bar atmosphere, DON'T ask to borrow someone's ID. I mean... seriously? If you're going to risk getting someone in trouble, why drag someone else down with you? Find yourself a fake ID and risk jail on your own time.

I really just don't get why students, smart students, are willing to take the risk to throw their lives away like this. They have so much potential in their lives and yet they don't consider how something so simple as using someone else's ID could totally ruin that potential. They might call me boring for not living such an exiting life, on the edge, but, you know what? Who freakin' cares?

And, as I told the friend of the boyfriend, "Smart girls know to wait until they are 21 to hit the bars. Smart girls know it's an idiot idea to do something that could greatly affect the rest of their lives."

Clip from Chapter Six:

They had no idea of what they were doing, none of them. This was their third attempt that month at burning her and each time she had managed to escape their grasp before she had reached the stake. That is, until now. They had caught her off-guard at home, caught her with rope to bind and cloth to gag and a large, heavy object that had knocked her out… she hadn’t any time to get away. But it was no matter: she had been granted with a special gift and she put her faith in that and nothing else. It alone would save her, even if she was currently bound and prepared for the flame of hell. The time for crying out to the gods and weeping had long passed, perhaps never to return. Before her imprisonment, Margaret had been a faithful servant of the gods, a humbled individual. Well, she thought, I was, anyway. Now it’s time for a lesson on faithfulness. Her focus remained on breathing in and out: eventually, the screams of the crowd blended together and dissolved, flowing away from her as water. In and out. It was all she could do to have faith and keep calm. “Witch,” one boy shouted, throwing sand at her down-turned face. Each grain struck her face as dewdrops and fell away as quickly as they had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment