Sunday, November 1, 2009

Zombies, Costumes, and Other Odd Things

Well, first I must apologize for not getting to Day 5 of being a zombie. I was not sure how to write that post and so I simply ignored it, hoping it would go away. But, assuming some of you are curious to know how the last day went, well... here it is.

There was an epic battle between the humans and the zombies that participated the last day. I was not involved in the first part of it, where the humans had to take a "scientist" to his "lab," which was all the way across campus, in a certain time limit. Apparently, the humans reached their goal because they ended up turning 5 zombies back into humans, including the original zombie which soooo many of us zombies were furious about but what can you do? Because the scientist reached his destination, the game changed a bit for the ending battle. Humans now had the "cure" to the virus, so whenever a human touched a zombie with a sock, the zombie instantly died and was out of the game. In the final scenerio, the humans ran from the scientist's lab to an "extraction site" where our moderator stood, who was going to call a "helicopter" at a certain time and, whomever made it to the moderator in time was "airlifted" in the "helicopter" and our school was "blow up" to rid the town of zombies. As you can imagine, the humans won. The zombies were no longer stunned when hit, they were dead. About 10 zombies survived until the bomb hit our school, which was a major achievement. Jo was one of the zombie who survived until then; I, however, received a sock-dose of the vaccine. When the game finally ended, we cheered loudly for our moderator, who promised that he would try and make sure we would get nerf-guns for the next game next semester.

I hope we do.

Then came Halloween, which was a very crazy day. I spent the night before and most of the day of Halloween (until around 3) copy-editing and dealing with some outrageous problems that hardly seem to happen during my copy-editing session. Then, Jo and I wandered around downtown to "see the scene" and stare at all the people in their costumes and setting up games of beer pong. I didn't know if I should be happy or not that Jo and I had not planned on participating in the Halloween party scene, which seems to be the only thing this town looks forward to every year. Even the adults. I'm still not sure how I felt about it. But, when we came back to my apartment, we watched 28 Weeks Later, which scared the pants off of me. Then , at 11pm, I went to the NaNoWriMo Kick-Off party, which ended up being me and 2 other people writing for about an hour and then going home and crashing and meeting up today at 1:30 to write some more. Now, 4,524 words and two chapters later, I'm totally exhausted. I am still vamped about writing chapter three tomorrow, though.

So, since my brain is dead, I will leave you all with a short excerpt and post my daily doings another day.

Excerpt from Chapter One:

In the cold, stillness of the night, Margaret sloshed forth, her arms wrapped around her body. She leaned forward as she walked, despite the fact that there was not a single breath of wind; in fact, the trees blocked any sign of day or night whatsoever and she plunged through, unaware of what a step outside the wood might take her. She was sure this was night, though. During the day, she occasionally came upon an opening where the light streamed through like the gentle touch of mage and she was assured once again that day was still out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment