Friday, August 21, 2009

Little Leo

Today's blog is brought to you by a lucky leopard lizard named Esther!


Well, she's actually a leopard gecko BUT the point of today's blog is that I was looking through some old photos of my little queen when Jo and I first got her and she has really grown BIG. I thought I'd share with you the little creature that has captured my heart. And Jo's. He adores our little fatty. So, this next picture is one that we took when we first got her. I'm pretty sure she was about 3-4 months old when we bought her. And she is VERY skinny, as well.

It's been about 7-8 months since we've had her and, already, she's grown a ton. We got a good deal on her because of her tail, which you can see is an odd orange/pink color. This is because, when she was a baby, she lost it and this humongous monstrosity of a tail grew back. That goes for a lower price because, supposedly, it makes her less attractive. I think it gives her personality. Normally, when I show her to people, that's the first thing they notice. It is supposed to be large (because they store food in their tail) but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that large. Anyway, when I was taking a picture last night, I think she noticed. The expression on her face is something like "I'm so photogenic that I will break your camera."

This is also a pretty rare moment captured. She doesn't come out in the daytime often (because she's nocturnal) so, when I came in to see her drinking from her water bowl (something I've only seen once) I had to take a picture of it. I have seen her lick things; she'll lick my finger sometimes when I pick her up and she also licks the glass of her tank after we have just cleaned it. (Mmm... glass cleaner products that can kill you.)

Yes, this little queen has captured my heart. And, yes, we did name her for Queen Esther in the Bible and she has turned into quite a picky/stubborn little queen. And a fatty. I'm looking forward to see how she looks next January, after she has officially been a year old. Geckos live up to between 15-20 years and I'm hoping to keep her for quite a long time. She probably wont live as long as she might with a house mate but, since she is my first major reptile pet (I'm allergic to cats, dogs, rabbits, ect.), I started basic.

If you have any questions about her (or leos in general), feel free to post and I will gladly answer them.

And now on to the prompt!!

Prompt#5: The Ten Commandments are discovered in an unopened chamber in Machu Picchu.

The day came and no one was prepared for it.


Historians and scientists lucky enough to be needed in the field study stared in horror, examined in wonder, and excitedly tried to date the stones.


Christians turned their eyes to the heavens, shouting, “Why?”


Atheists laughed.


Muslims were satisfied.


Buddhists didn’t care.


Israel was baffled.


The U.S. was baffled.


Peru was really baffled.


And all waited.


And waited.


And waited.


Until, over the news, the reporter announced that the Ten Commandments were authentic. All the Christians died of sudden, bewildering heart attacks. And everyone else ran around, not knowing what to think.


Some called it rapture.


Others called it insanity.


Some came to faith.


Others ran from it.


Up at the pearly gates, Jesus and God watched as the people began to pour in, staring at them in amazement. And, as Saint Peter came forth to record each name into the Book of Life, God turned his gaze over the people…quieting their questions about what had taken place on Earth…


And then, with two thumbs up, he shouted, “Gotcha!” and high-fived Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment